[syslinux] Automatically choose between 32-bit and 64-bit kernel

Curtis Doty Curtis at GreenKey.net
Mon Jan 22 17:47:09 PST 2007

Erwan Velu wrote:
> Byron Stanoszek wrote:
>
>> I've been using syslinux on my own Linux recovery CDs for almost a year now,
>> and in that time I've found it useful to be able to automatically load a
>> 64-bit-capable kernel if the CPU supports it.
>>
>> I'd like to share my efforts and submit this patch for syslinux-3.31. It adds a
>> new config file keyword, 'default64', which overrides the default image if a
>> 64-bit CPU is detected. This allows your config file to have something like
>> this in order to automatically choose between a 32-bit and 64-bit kernel:
>>

> I've been starting some stuff on the hardware detection. Some com32
> modules are able to detect the hardware capabilities.
> The x86_64 capability is one of those. Now we need to define a kind of
> script language than can help people to defines rules
> to match some hardware capability and some syslinux configuration.

I'm eager to fiddle with this (com32 module) if anyone has patches to
test. The cat's meow would be some way to abstract the cpu flags into
variables. Then one could a) select kernel arch from flags.lm, b) append
custom arguments derived from cpuid, and even c) decide to boot a xen
dom0 if, say, the vmx or svm flags are flying.

../C