[syslinux] Request for enlightenment..

Andreas Kotes count-linux at flatline.de
Thu Jul 5 13:55:59 PDT 2007

Hello,

* H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> [20070705 22:51]:
> > I'll just build a kernel, and use a large initrd as I've done in the
> > past, but that has the disadvantage of not being so easily modifiable as
> >   a "running" install. What I'm attempting to do is build a small linux
> > PXE-able system so I can apply a SAS backplane firmware update to a Dell
> > 2950 which is running neither Windows, nor Linux. I've used memdisk for
> > many moons to punt dos images at servers for updates, but for some
> > reason this binary update needs Windows or "RedHat" (and a great list of
> > dependencies, which would be more difficult to resolve on a non-running
> > system).

[..]

> However, for most Linux uses, you're better off using a kernel+initramfs.

I second that. In the end, you only need the RedHat once, to unpack the
BIOS file and the flashing binary. Then you can simply collect the
neeeded libraries via ldd and solve the (comparatively small) dependencies
that way.

If you have the right kernel with the right modules you might end up
with a initramfs with only a dozen or two files in it, doing the job to
your full satisfaction.

Br,

   Andreas

--
"At the end of knowledge, wisdom begins, and at the end of wisdom, there is no
grief ... but hope."