[syslinux] Request for enlightenment..

Ian McDonald iam at st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Jul 5 14:29:52 PDT 2007

> [..]
>> However, for most Linux uses, you're better off using a kernel+initramfs.
>
> I second that. In the end, you only need the RedHat once, to unpack the
> BIOS file and the flashing binary. Then you can simply collect the
> neeeded libraries via ldd and solve the (comparatively small) dependencies
> that way.
>
> If you have the right kernel with the right modules you might end up
> with a initramfs with only a dozen or two files in it, doing the job to
> your full satisfaction.
>
> Br,
>
>    Andreas

Aye. I thought of this, but it's a static binary, which then calls on
all sorts of system utilities, requiring libstdc++5 (which is in
compatibility libs for a start).

I've got it running on debian just fine, and actually know what I need
to put in the initramfs, which isn't a problem. I wanted to rule out the
idea of booting an image of a running system, because if I'd been able
to boot said image, I'd have only had to work the dependencies once, and
then not re-create the thing in an initramfs for future updates.

This being not the case, I'll just build the kernel+initramfs I need.

--
ian