[syslinux] Request for enlightenment..

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Jul 5 13:47:15 PDT 2007

Ian McDonald wrote:

> I was actually wondering what behaviour had changed between 3.31 and
> 3.35 (and later) that had made something that had worked since memdisk
> 2.x "suddenly" break.

I believe the EDD code was new in 3.35, and it seems to have caused a
lot of grief.  I'm not sure if it's due to the EDD code, or if it's due
to software incorrectly assuming EDD == EDD 3.0 (which is impossible to
implement correctly in the general case, since it requires 64-bit-clean
addressing, which neither BIOS nor all hardware supports.)