[syslinux] Is there a howto for using redboot to kickoff apxelinux boot?

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sat Jul 21 09:49:45 PDT 2007

Op 18-07-2007 om 14:11 schreef Maes Rich:
> [...]

I think you try to say that you have (cluster) software that depends
on the (Intel only) PXE software. And that the only networkboot
protocol stack you known is the Pre eXecution Environment.

> I'm going to look into the Etherboot project as you recommend.  In fact
> looking at my dhcpd.conf file I see that if the client reports as a
> etherboot client, it still gets handed the pxelinux.0 file so there must
> be some high synergy there.

I foresee that you will make the same error as the error which started
this E-mail thread. Starting a non-redboot binary in the redboot
environment. I assume that you will culpritt redboot falsely.

Okay, hopefully I have now your attention.

Consider the redboot environment a sane start, and actually it is.
It runs ELF binaries.

Etherboot provides binaries for IBM-PC, either a BIOS ROM or a "bootable
DOS floppy".

You need the Etherboot binary because it provides PXE for the OTS Cluster software,
where 'PXE' is literally Pre eXecution Environment.

My advice:

Build a ELF binary of Etherboot (or gPXE).
That will get you further as your original post.

> Thanks for your help.

My pay-pal account is available on request.
Also a shipping address for sending a redboot system.

Cheers
Geert Stappers