[syslinux] is substitution possible?

Wagner Ferenc wferi at niif.hu
Mon Mar 5 16:09:13 PST 2007

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> writes:

> Wagner Ferenc wrote:
>
>> I'd like to write something like
>>
>> append root=${NAME}-root
>>
>> into PXELINUX's config file, that is, substitute the booting host's
>> DHCP name into the kernel command line.  Since that would be the only
>> varying part in the boot config of a bunch of machines, I'd rather not
>> use separate config files for each.  Is there a way to somehow achive
>> somehing like this?
>
> Not in pxelinux, sorry.  You'd have to have support in the TFTP
> server, one way or another.  Another option, of course, is to build an
> initramfs to do that stuff for you.

Yes.  That would amount to issue another DHCP request from the
initramfs.  No big deal, but I somehow have the impression that it
doesn't belong there.  But why do you mention the TFTP server?  It
just serves the config file to PXELINUX, which could munge it to its
liking, couldn't it?  Ehrm, would you accept patches for such
functionality?
--
Feri.