[syslinux] dynamic tftp content?

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Tue Mar 20 15:17:17 PDT 2007

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Craig wrote:

> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >> Has there ever been any consideration to allowing the tftp server to
> >> provide dynamic content?
> > Yes.  The protocol makes it difficult.
>
> I was really hoping you wouldn't say that...
You can use FUSE (or similar filesystems) to provide dynamic content
through TFTP, if you find it necessary. (I do, it works).

> > You pretty much have to guarantee that the contents is generated in a
> > fraction of a second, or your client will most likely flood your
> > server.
Actually, not so in my experience. Client bugs the server with various
timeouts, but speed isn't really that required.

> > The problem is that in order to be able to answer a tsize query you
> > have to know the full size of the output.  However, since TFTP isn't
> > guaranteed to distinguish between an RRQ resend and a new request
> > (pxelinux will make the distinction, but it's hard for the TFTP server
> > to make use of it), so you have to have a reply before the first
> > request.
Why does this matter? If its dynamic content (which varies depending on IP
address of requestor and filename), its still static across re-requests...

-alex