[syslinux] dynamic tftp content?

Craig craig5 at pobox.com
Tue Mar 20 15:25:36 PDT 2007

alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
> You can use FUSE (or similar filesystems) to provide dynamic content
> through TFTP, if you find it necessary. (I do, it works).

Good point. I was hoping not to mess around too much with the OS.
Installing/maintaining a custom filesystem seems like overkill, but it
is another way to get what I want...

>>> The problem is that in order to be able to answer a tsize query you
>>> have to know the full size of the output.  However, since TFTP isn't
>>> guaranteed to distinguish between an RRQ resend and a new request
>>> (pxelinux will make the distinction, but it's hard for the TFTP server
>>> to make use of it), so you have to have a reply before the first
>>> request.
> Why does this matter? If its dynamic content (which varies depending on IP
> address of requestor and filename), its still static across re-requests...

Hmm. I don't know that you could guarantee that. If you were to change
the data store (that drives the application) in between requests, then a
subsequent response to a re-request could be different. (This is
probably a "corner case", but it could definitely happen.)