[syslinux] Including multiple configuration files

Joel Ebel jbebel at google.com
Tue May 22 11:49:00 PDT 2007

Due to a large number of targets, I'm working on a menu based PXE system
to ease finding the difficult to remember obscure labels.  I'd like to
split these up into separate menus, and thus in multiple configuration
files.  However, in doing this, I don't want to sacrifice the ability to
type in any label at the main boot prompt, but I also dont' want to
maintain duplicate entries of a particular label.  While I see the
options "MENU INCLUDE" and the ability to append multiple filenames to
the menu.c32 target, I don't believe there is currently any way for the
core syslinux to handle information in multiple files.  Is this correct?
  Is there any technical reason this isn't possible?  It would simplify
my configuration if such a feature were implemented.  Without it, I
imagine I'll just take all the sub-menu config files and concatenate
them together to form a core syslinux configuration.

Also, is there any functional difference between the use of MENU INCLUDE
vs appending multiple files to the menu.c32 target?

Thanks,
Joel Ebel