[syslinux] extlinux support for root= ext2 label and/or uuid

Andreas Kotes count-linux at flatline.de
Sun Oct 7 13:14:53 PDT 2007

Hello,

* Andrew Paprocki <andrew at ishiboo.com> [20071007 22:04]:
> Is it possible to specify the root device in extlinux.conf by an ext2
> label or uuid? How difficult is it to add this support if it is not
> there? I am in a situation where this is needed and my fstab is
> configured appropriately, but extlinux.conf still needs to be manually
> updated when the root drive changes to a different scsi device (due to
> the number of drives on the bus and the order of the controllers).

I'd rather recommend nailing down the controller/device IDs using udev
or kernel parameters.

Scanning for ext2 labels or UUIDs and then rewriting the commandline
with it (as root=/dev/xxx is usually passed thru) is out of the scope of
syslinux - as I understand it.

   Andreas

--
flatline IT services - Andreas Kotes - Tailored solutions for your IT needs