[syslinux] FreeBSD Support was: Re: SDI loading patch

Andrew Stuart andrew at shopcusa.com
Tue Apr 1 23:20:41 PDT 2008

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> The best would be if the FreeBSD people would compile in standard ELF
> support into their binutils (I doubt it'd make it any bigger.)  The
> right way to do this is to move this into a Makefile variable which can
> be overridden (i.e. something like LD_386 = -m elf_i386).

Yeah I figured it could be done with the Makefile, but I am not a
programmer. I can modify C alright, but Makefiles are still a magical
item to me. I wasn't suggesting that you add the perl command, I just
don't know the correct Makefile lingo.

> The current git tree (post-3.62) is likely to work better, since I have
> made some Makefile cleanups.

Alright, I will check it out, but I won't have time for a week or so.

>> I have confirmed this working with 3.62 (excluding syslinux which has a
>> compile error, if interested in adding FreeBSD support, I will report
>> the issue separately)
>
> Which portion of syslinux?  The "mtools" version should work; the "unix"
> version (which is really "linux" nowadays) should not, and I wouldn't
> expect extlinux to readily compile either.
>
> A FreeBSD patch would definitely be accepted, I don't expect I'll have
> time to work on that myself.
>
> 	-hpa

I attached the output of the build. It appears mtools does compile
correctly, although it does have a few warnings on missing files. The
unix version is indeed the one that fails.

I wouldn't expect you to pick up the porting project, I know you keep
busy enough. It does appear that pxelinux, memdisk and the com32 modules
can be built, which is what I mostly use (I haven't tried building
isolinux yet).

hey, I don't think I have said it in a while.. so Thank you again for
your hard work.

-Andrew