[syslinux] SYSLINUX GRUB and booting logical partitions on USB drive

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Jul 2 09:57:02 PDT 2008

greenfinch wrote:

> Hello hpa,
>
> you were right!
> During all the tests I've forgotten to update the file chain.c32.
> I've just copied file for every try instead of using the version 3.70.
> Sorry!
>
> One problem less.
> - Now I can install my linux related distros, live-cds in the logical
> partitions.
> - In addition I have 3 primary partitions for windows.
> - I think I cannot use the first primary partition for windows or dos
> based installation because in this partitions I have
>   the SYSLINUX files (syslinux loader, cfg-file, chain.c32....)

Actually, they should be able to co-exist in one partition just fine
(although it's probably easier to put syslinux elsewhere.)  You want to
either use chain.c32 with a file, or save the original boot sector as a
.bss file to boot the "main" operating system in the partition.

> However I will get a problem booting dos/windos from the primary
> partition 3, because in that case I have
> to hide the primary partition 2. I think this is not possible with SYSLINUX.

I don't have that support yet, but it probably wouldn't be that hard to add.