[syslinux] CONFIG

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jul 11 06:32:32 PDT 2008

Ferenc Wagner wrote:

> This may or may not be related, but some time ago we talked about
> optionally changing the current directory when a new config file is
> loaded.  Unfortunately I failed to implement this.  However, recently
> there was some activity around this part of the code.  What do you
> think about adding the possibility of something like
>
>   LABEL config
>     CONFIG /some/dir/newconfig.cfg
>     APPEND cwd
>
> to the effect of setting the current directory to /some/dir, as if
> newconfig.cfg was read by the loader initially?  This would help a lot
> integrating several isolinux-booted systems into one CD or USB stick.

I have been thinking about it a lot, but there is a major complication
which I haven't had time to come up with a workaround for.  The
fundamental problem is that the configuration file needs to be
accessible from the new namespace, but it was looked up in the old
namespace.  This would require either keeping the full pathname of the
current directory at all times (which pxelinux does, but not any of the
other derivatives) and canonicalize the configuration file name, or come
up with some kind of "magic shortcut" syntax.