[syslinux] [BUG] boot failure since syslinux-3.00

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jul 14 14:10:29 PDT 2008

Sean Young wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This AMD Elan board seems to be very problematic:
>
> http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-5500
>
> I'm having various issues with booting recent Linux kernels with syslinux.
> syslinux-2.13 was the last version that worked and since syslinux-3.00
> it doesn't work.
>
> When it doesn't work all I get is "Boot failed" from the bootsector. Since
> the obvious change since 3.* is the eddcheck and commenting that piece
> out does make 3.* work (3.02 and 3.70).
>
> It can be similated in bochs using the bios which is available here:
>
> ftp://ftp.embeddedarm.com/ts-x86-sbc/old-downloads/binaries/5500BIOS.ZIP
>
> How should I proceed?

It does indeed seem to be very problematic, and there are problems with
the kernel itself that have been reported.  Unfortunately, preliminary
analysis seem to imply that it is not just the BIOS, but the actual CPU
which is causing some of these problems.

The EDD check is a different issue entirely, which might be possible to
emulate.