[syslinux] Solaris / OpenSolaris

Knut Petter kpolberg at olberg.name
Wed May 7 07:04:03 PDT 2008

I'm having some difficulties pxe booting Solaris. So far I have tried
the mboot.c32, and the pxegrub shipped with Solaris. At first I had some
problems with blksize, but this disapeared when I changed from atftpd to
tftpd-hpa. The point at which I'm stuck now is, the kernel and
x86.microroot/x86.miniroot is loaded but then VMWare crashes. I might
try with real hardware, but I thought that VMWare had full support for
Solaris / PXE booting.

Currently I'm loading the pxegrub via pxelinux and this is my menu.lst
file for pxegrub.

#
#pragma ident   "@(#)install_menu       1.1     05/04/15 SMI"
#
default=0
timeout=30
splashimage=/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
foreground=ffffff
background=444444
title OpenSolaris 2008.05
        kernel$ /boot/grub/unix -B
install_media=192.168.20.57:/srv/pxeboot/opensolaris
        module /boot/grub/x86.microroot

title OpenSolaris 2008.05 text console
        kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix -B livemode=text
        module /boot/x86.microroot

title Boot from Hard Disk
        rootnoverify (hd0)
        chainloader +1

If someone has input in this manner, either how to use the mboot.c32
module, or what is wrong with my kernel line, help would be greatly
appreciated.

Knut Petter