[syslinux] LVM support

Steffen Winterfeldt wfeldt at suse.de
Wed Apr 15 03:51:22 PDT 2009

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Jeff Sadowski wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Ian Kirk <blob at blob.co.uk> wrote:
> > H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >
> >> In *your view*, what is the value proposition of Syslinux over Grub?

Maintaining syslinux for openSUSE for years now, in my view one of the real
advantages of syslinux is that it works. And that's no small thing.

OTOH, grub is finally disintegrating and people are still uncomfortable with
grub2.

> So does someone want syslinux/extlinux to be installed on a partition
> inside the LVM and have it boot from in there? Is that even possible
> wouldn't the boot section interfere with the LVM?

A bit OT, but yes, I want to (and get rid of boot partitions). In fact grub
annoyed me that much that I started a little project
(git://git.opensuse.org/people/snwint/bdr.git) that attaches a regular file
as boot drive to the BIOS (via a small loader in the MBR). I can then put an
ext2 or fat fs into the file and use ext-/syslinux and be done with grub.

Steffen