[syslinux] LVM support

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Apr 15 08:58:46 PDT 2009

Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:

>> So does someone want syslinux/extlinux to be installed on a partition
>> inside the LVM and have it boot from in there? Is that even possible
>> wouldn't the boot section interfere with the LVM?
>
> A bit OT, but yes, I want to (and get rid of boot partitions). In fact grub
> annoyed me that much that I started a little project
> (git://git.opensuse.org/people/snwint/bdr.git) that attaches a regular file
> as boot drive to the BIOS (via a small loader in the MBR). I can then put an
> ext2 or fat fs into the file and use ext-/syslinux and be done with grub.

Getting rid of boot partitions is IMO probably a bad idea.  Simply put,
there is always going to be a skew between what the OS can do and what
bootloaders can do, and you don't want to take the penalty of that for
your real filesystem.  The extreme case of that is EFI, where you *have*
do boot from a dedicated FAT partition, period.