[syslinux] Web Forum for SysLinux

Ryan McLean pvtryan100 at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 1 05:33:45 PDT 2009

Kim Mik wrote:
> There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding.
> The forum isn't meant to replace the mailing list, it is just there
> to make Syslinux more known as a bootloader to Joe The Plumber.
>
> Some people don't seem to find documentation about Syslinux.
> Strange that such people exist, but they exist. They should just look in the /doc
> directory of the Syslinux download of course ;).
>
> On forums you get more messages like:
>   I want to boot X, how can I do that?
>
> You don't want such messages on the mailing list, which in my view should be used for
> development and more serious questions.
>
> So forums are more for Joe The Plumber, than for discussing very technical info and patches
> by the developers themselves.

I have to disagree, questions like that should be on the mailing list
for several reasons:
1. It is easy to search at a later date if someone else wants to do the
same thing.
2. If it can't be done the devs can say so quickly before time is wasted
trying to do it.
3. If it is a bug that is preventing the desired effect, again the devs
will spot it very quickly
4. With regards to 2, the devs may decide it is worth adding as a
feature if enough people mention it.

A good example of this is what happened to me.
http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2006-September/007330.html
http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2006-September/007334.html

Had I been a member of an obscure forum that HPA didn't frequent then
that feature may not have been included until much later
(I think it was an obvious problem that would have been fixed at some
point anyway).

There was talk back in May of splitting the mailing list in two. This
one for regular users and the other -devel for devs, iirc I think there
was overwhelming support to keep the single list.

I just don't see any benefit of "yet another place to go for help", imho
better to keep all the help and support in one place so the knowledge
pool is larger rather than dispersed in several different places.

Regards,

Ryan