[syslinux] Append boot device to /proc/cmdline

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Dec 4 10:06:40 PST 2009

On 12/04/2009 08:25 AM, Kim Mik wrote:

>> For example, there're more than just the Linux kernel that conform to H. Peter's
>> i386 Linux boot protocol [1].  Other such items might not appreciate the extra
>> information you've suggested that Syslinux provide automatically, Patrick.
>>
> A suggestion that will solve this problem:
> When booted from FAT13/32 or EXT2/3/4, the UUID of the partition could be appended when
> a new keyword 'UUID' is added to a LABEL statement.

FAT filesystems don't have UUIDs; they *might* have a 32-bit ID but not
all of them do.

> LABEL append_uuid_to_cmdline
> LINUX bzImage
> INITRD initramfs
> APPEND quiet
> UUID
>
> This will result in this APPEND line:
>  quiet root=UUID=5d0ca1fe-78f5-4fe9-97d0-caf54be58ce7
>
> When /proc/sys/kernel/bootloader_type is 0x33 (=51 = ISOLINUX), scan only CD/DVD drives.

... except you might be having a isohybrid drive, and so on.

All of this is messy, and misleading information is probably worse than
no information.  Hence the need for some care.

I definitely want to implement this in linux.c32 only; I am not adding
more features to the assembly core that is slated for termination anyway!