[syslinux] Ugh on new bios.

Bart van den Oetelaar oetelaar24 at zonnet.nl
Sun Feb 1 12:49:02 PST 2009

Citeren Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com>:

> Just so others know. On my EVGA motherboard the option to boot
> removable media didn't work on my usb flash drive with syslinux on it.
> Yesterday I tried updating the version of syslinux and seeing if that
> would wok. Frustrated with it not working I moaned and groaned and my
> brother decided to look for options in the bios that I might have
> missed. He couldn't find anything. But I decided to look at the bios
> just a little more and wala. Under the regular hard drive options I
> found my USB flash disk listed. Who would have guessed that they would
> put it there. It kind of sucks being there because if I want to boot
> my usb drive I have to plug it in and select it in the bios each and
> every time.

Isn't it possible to press F8 when the system POSTs so that a one time
boot selection
popup menu appears?
I know this option exists on Asus motherboards and others as well.
Maybe the option is
displayed when the BIOS displays its messages, or you can find some
reference to it in
the manual?
That is how I usually select a boot from PXE or any other boot device
normally not
connected/wanten.

-Bart

(sorry, first reply was to mistakenly sent to Jeff only)