[syslinux] Graphic boot ...

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Feb 10 16:33:40 PST 2009

Erez Strauss wrote:
> Hi Gene and Peter,
>
> Thanks a lot.
> I'll need it to boot linux only in graphic mode, and any other case
> will be using regular text/menu selection, as done so far.
> I saw Fedora plymouth that load Graphics on supported DRM cards (ATI cards).
> But I'm looking for graphic boot on more HW configs.
> I'll check the Ubuntu and GFXBoot; is the com32 module available for testing?
>
> Can I switch the text output to none active virtual console at the
> begining of the initrd (nash/bash), while staying in graphic mode from
> the extlinux?
> What exactly will break at the boot time (or later) if I do the above,
> and start X from that mode?

You don't need gfxboot for this; you can use vesamenu (possibly with
MENU HIDDEN).

Right now, as I said, you don't have the option to not go into text mode
right before kernel handover, although you can make that quite short and
with little or no output.

The mods needed to the core are quite modest; it pretty much comes down
to suppressing the "Loading..." prompt and remove "call vgaclearmode" on
line 107 of bootsect.inc (in fact, doing only the latter probably will
do what you want.)