[syslinux] [gpxelinux] How to use sanboot.c32 to attach a iscsi lun and then boot from CD

Kevin Landreth crackerjackmack at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 19:13:32 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Michael Reichenbach <
michael_reichenbach at freenet.de> wrote:

> Bart van den Oetelaar schrieb:
> > Is this scenario valid what I'm trying to do? Is it possible to boot
> > from CD after gPXE?
>
> syslinux or pxelinux has not the ability to chainboot cd after BIOS (or
> gpxe) has booted harddisk or lan.
>
> No idea about iSCSI and how mounting has harddisk will work. It provides
> a BIOS service? Does it provide a faked controller (I doubt it)? However...
>
> Sometime ago I looked into gpxe, it's a open source firmeware to replace
> proprietary/buggy boot rom's. You can use it to boot from pxe (LAN).
>
> You can use gpxe to boot grub4dos, see
> http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/pxe.htm
>
> From grub4dos you have the ability to boot CD-ROM, see
> http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/boot.htm#cd As long you are in
> real mode everything should be fine, but it's up to the operating system
> to arrange with the network.
>
> For example gpxe + grub4dos + floppy/iso image with freedos and
> netbootdisk.com over lan booting works great. As long you are in real
> mode everything is fine, but in other modes you are on your own.
>
> regards,
> -mr

gPXE from freedos is a great idea.
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Sanboot.c32 says it requires
gPXELinux.0 so...looks like it would be the only option as to booting from
CD.

Have you tried just chainloading gPXE using the bin/undionly.kpxe image to
san boot?  sanboot.c32 is, for the most part, untested.  "It should work" as
the saying goes.  but you never know...

--
Kevin Landreth