[syslinux] Gfxboot COMBOOT module vs Ubuntu patches

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jul 13 12:53:42 PDT 2009

Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:

> I will no longer maintain the original patch set against syslinux. So 3.63
> will be the last version as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Instead, use Sebastians gfxboot COM module.
>
> I'm currently looking into adding the missing functions. Which will
> probably end into a patch adding 3 comboot api calls: chdir [done], mount
> (for media changes) [done], and setting some callback function to get a
> progress bar [wip].

It's probably worth me putting in a strong warning here... Syslinux 4
will have dramatically different management of high memory.  COM32 in
its current form will no longer exist, instead it will be replaced with
ELF loadable modules, and an always-on arena memory manager.

The current load_high will not exist, instead the code that will do
kernel loading is going to be the code that currently is implemented as
linux.c32.