[syslinux] R: Re: PXEbooting very slow

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jun 5 11:48:58 PDT 2009

pfranz73 at tiscali.it wrote:
> Also 3.75 sometimes "hesitates" a bit, but it's faster anyway, and has
> quite constant delays.
> Machine is an Acer netbook with Atom N270 and a
> Realtek 8102e ethernet card.
> Server is tftpd32 ver 3.10beta(last
> version working on Win98)  on Win98. It seems that tftp32d ver 3.33 on
> WinXP doesn't have the problem, but I will check again and make other
> tests, when I have time
> Thanks for the pre-releases link, otherwise I
> wouldn't have found them. What is git bisect? How do I make it?
> Paolo
> Franchetti

You need to install the "git" tool as well as a working compiler
toolchain (gcc, binutils, nasm, perl).  Most recent Linux distros have
all of these prepackaged.

Then, in your case, you want to find a problem between 3.75 and 3.80, so
you would do:

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git
git bisect start
git bisect good syslinux-3.75
git bisect bad syslinux-3.80

Now it is going to pick a point in between for you to compile, so:

type "make"

if the make *fails*:
	- type "git bisect skip"
otherwise:
	- test the resulting binary (core/pxelinux.0)
	- type either "git bisect good" or "git bisect bad"
	  depending on which is appropriate

Repeat until it tells you "first bad commit is:".