[syslinux] USB bootable (using syslinux)

Agostinho Carvalho agostinho.df.carvalho at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 14 17:47:54 PDT 2009

Hello!

I just started using Linux and I like the possibilities it offers.
I'm using Suse Linux (no MS Windows installed at all).

I also discovered that syslinux is capable of making a USB pendrive bootable (with graphic menus).

This is very nice.

Since I'm a Windows user (up until now), I have some questions:

1 - I already downloaded syslinux 3.82
How do I install it on my pen drive so I can make it bootable?
I mean in MS windows there's always a setup.exe or config.exe file!
What's the equivalent here?

2 - I have a USB PenDrive (FAT32 file system) that has 2 boot options.
Boot option 1 = runs program1.exe that updates my BIOS (it needs MSDOS command.com)
Boot option 2 = runs program2.exe that executes a basic hardware test on the PC (it needs MSDOS command.com)

Through my pendrive, I don't need to access any HDD or load any operative system.

Presently, the pen drive is using a DOS bootstrap (like the one you obtain when you format a device using /s option under DOS).
The pendrive includes io.sys, command.com, autoexec.bat, config.sys, program1.exe, program2.exe

My question is:
Can I use syslinux to accomplish the same thing? How??
It would be nice to have a background bootsplash logo of the company, while the user selects one of the two boot options, using the cursor keys.
Just like GRUB...

Notes:
I'm using suse linux (no MS Windows installed).
The pendrive has 1GB (FAT32 formatted).
I'm using a laptop (and I don't have floppy drives).

Thank you.