[syslinux] Problems booting msdos with memdisk + syslinux on hplaptops

Miller, Shao Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Fri Mar 27 06:05:32 PDT 2009

Good day Larry,

I've seen HPs with problems booting floppy disk images with memdisk
before, but the problems were with "superfloppy" images; non-standard
floppy image sizes.

You might be interested in trying the memdisk options described in
section d) of syslinux/doc/memdisk.txt.

Also, if you are using WinImage, be careful that you didn't manipulate
the image in such a way as to wreck it (such as changing the boot-sector
or changing the floppy size).  A good thing to try out if it's not
booting, is to use a normal DOS boot floppy image with the SYS.COM
command on it, use a Virtual Machine to boot it with your as-is custom
floppy image as the second floppy disk, then run the SYS.COM command to
"transfer the system" to your custom floppy.  For example, your QEmu
command-line might look like this:

qemu -fda dos.vfd -fdb myimage.vfd -boot a

Another test is to see if the floppy image boots non-HP computers.

I hope this helps!

- Shao Miller