[syslinux] PXELINUX, pxechain.com and Etherboot

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed May 13 14:05:23 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 13 May 2009 19:25:31 Joyce Yu wrote:
> Anyone has tried to use pxechain with Etherboot? Here is my problem:
>
> The Etherboot client had no problem to get the list of install servers
> manual from the pxechain. But didn't matter which server was chosen,
> Etherboot client always tried to use the first server to do the
> installation.  Etherboot 5.4 was used.
>
> What the problem may be? PXEchain or Etherboot?

Joyce,

Etherboot 5.4 is no longer developed or supported.  As has been mentioned to
you personally several times over the past few years, you should be
developing your driver within gPXE instead.

I typically expect to complete development of a gPXE driver for a new 10GigE
card within two weeks.  Instead of spending years of time and effort in
tracking down bugs in Etherboot that have long been fixed in gPXE, you could
have developed (or funded) your driver within gPXE many times over.

Why do you continue to ignore this advice?

Michael