[syslinux] Bootable CD for booting of USB HDD

Kim Mik kimmik999999 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 5 14:43:10 PDT 2009

>> You can use PloP.
>>
> Neat. I was hoping I could use it to test my boot pens under VirtualBox,
> but I haven't had much success. With EHCI support, the VM locks when
> scanning the USB buses. Without EHCI, the system is *very* slow.
>
> But it works faster under qemu, so at least it's better than -hda /dev/sdx for
> tests.
>
> Thanks,
> Luciano Rocha

Some news:

Parts of quotes of:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9309&pid=81013&st=0&#entry81013

Plop Boot Manager 5.0.4 is released:

    * All 3 USB drivers updated.
      Bug fixes for UHCI, OHCI and EHCI.
      More speed for UHCI and OHCI.
    * 2 modes to force USB 1.1
    * Boot from second, third, ... usb mass storage device is now possible
      by setup configuration
      by using the CTRL key
    * Init colors updated.
    * Installer can setup the boot manager to boot in textmode.
    * plpcfgbt updated with the new options.

yes, 5.0.3 was working very well. but 5.0.4 is really great and has
fixes for some speical cases. there are still problems with VirtualBox,
but real hardware has priority.

a note for virtual machines and plop usb until 5.0.4:
qemu usb 1.1 works
vmware usb 2.0 works
virtualbox still has problems

Greetings,