[syslinux] problem booting (Fedora) LiveCD ISO over PXELINUX

msacks ntwrkd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 15:26:52 PST 2010

This is an issue I've researched quite a bit on bug lists, and looked
in the Syslinux Wiki for a way to do this, but haven't yet found a
solution.

1) I have an existing Fedora 13 LiveCD which I burned to a CD and
tested on  a system without issue.

2) I then took that same ISO and dropped it in my pxelinux.cfg/default
for being able to boot over the network. I made sure to extract the
proper vmlinuz and initrd from the LiveCD and make it available to my
PXELINUX Config:

label LiveCD
 MENU LABEL LiveCD
 kernel livecd/vmlinuz0
 append initrd=livecd/initrd0.img media=network
root=live:CDLABEL=F13-LiveCD-POC-20101201-122711 rootfstype=auto ro
liveimg rhgb rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM ramdisk_size=164212
init=/bin/init  iso1=nfs://imagesrv/fedora-livecd.iso
iso1mnt=/mnt/bootdevice

What I got was the following error message:

Boot has failed, sleeping forever.

Am I specifying the wrong filesystem or bootdevice?
Has anyone been able to get this to work with a LiveCD? Seems like the
Fedora Forums Bugzilla most people are giving up on this. My theory is
if it works from a CD, it should work over PXELINUX. All help is
appreciated.