[syslinux] Syslinux Digest, Vol 93, Issue 1

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 09:42:00 PST 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 11:37, Gilles Espinasse <g.esp at free.fr> wrote:
> Selon Aaron Luo <luotanke at 163.com>:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Thanks for all your help. Now, I can compile the latest source code base on
>> RedHat 5.5 after update nasm(to 2.09) and binutil(2.17).

Thanks for the info.  It's good to hear that it was an update (and I
thought it was binutils but couldn't be certain).

>> And *make spotless* before *make* under core/ directory. But with the new
>> pxelinux.0, the PXEClient can not bootup.
>> The error info,
>>
>> No valid file system found!
>>
> more probably a configuration issue.

Or similar non-PXELINUX issue (ie bad disk).

>> And stuck in there. I think maybe the gcc cause the problem. My gcc version
>> is 4.1.2.
>>
> First, why are you trying the _full_ syslinux compilation?
> Why do you need that?
> Did you read doc/distrib.txt?

See also: http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ#Common_Problems.Issues
and what it links to, especially
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Common_Problems#Official_Binaries
(inspired by doc/distrib.txt).

> The recommended way is to compile only the installer and trust the packager to
> compile good binaries for you.
> To do that, restrart from ground, remove your syslinux tree and
> tar xf syslinux-4.03.tar.bz2
> cd syslinux*
> make installer
> make install (if you want to install on the compilation machine)

Also, this will ONLY rebuild the Linux binaries.  This is targeted for
the situation of a library conflict/incompatibility.

> Don't try to run a bare 'make', that would recompile the original binaries with
> your new compilation.
> Don't test in the same time your compilation environment and syslinux code if
> you don't need that.

Agreed.  If the pre-compiled binaries work, _please_ use them as-is.

Would it be possible for you to test the pre-compiled pxelinux.0 from
4.03?  It's uncertain if this is a compile issue or something else
(ie, config, local computer, etc).  More than likely it's not a
compile issue but let's try the pre-compiled binaries first.

--
-Gene