[syslinux] [SYSLINUX] Slow timeout

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 06:34:19 PST 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 09:15, mammar <mammar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Following are the steps i used to install syslinux on a external usb hdd.
>

>   1. Create a 1GB partition
>   2. Format it with FAT32
>   3. Extract live iso on partition
>   4. Install syslinux on partition.
>
> Note: Default timeout is 3 seconds in syslinux.cfg
>
> The problem is that Automatic boot in # seconds...** stays on screen for
> more than 5 seconds. Counting starts from 3 to 1 but message is still there.

1) "Automatic boot" sounds like you're using menu.c32/vesamenu.c32 as
a user interface rather than the CLI.

Does it count normally down from 3 to 1 (ie, per second) then the
screen stays constant?  If so, you probably have the keywords "quiet
in the commandline.  menu.c32/vesamenu.c32 listen to this and don't
output anything further.

2) I'd suggest posting the used LABEL and any global directives.

> Is this some issue with external usb hdd interface?

Probably not.

> How can i fix it?

Remove "quiet".  It's a feature that some Syslinux users like for
their end users.

--
-Gene