[syslinux] [SYSLINUX] Slow timeout

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 08:58:14 PST 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 11:07, mammar <mammar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Gene,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply.
>
> Yes, i m using quiet so that user should not see the boot messages. Instead
> a plymouth theme will be displayed on screen.
>
> The problem is only with external usb hdd. Everything is working fine with
> the same steps when i make a usb/flash drive bootable with syslinux.
>
> Even with external usb hdd everything is fine and linux boots successfully,
> the only problem is that control stays more than specified timeout in
> syslinux.cfg.
>
> The timeout is set to 3 sec but it stays there for around 7 to 10 sec and
> then start booting the linux.

What do you mean "control stays more than specified timeout"?  I'm
guessing as I said before that it counts down as expected, the display
stays constant while loading the kernel and initrd-related files then
switches to your plymouth themed screen?  If this is so, your hdd
might just be slow to load files as your UFD works "fine".  Have you
tried a different hdd, USB-HDD adapter or computer?  It's possible the
computer only wants to use that USB-HDD adapter at Full Speed.  I've
seen some computers with High Speed USB interfaces only use devices at
Full Speed when controlled by the BIOS rather than a full OS (which
does use it at High Speed).

--
-Gene