[syslinux] Boot from local disk broken with 3.85-pre5?

John Rouillard rouilj at renesys.com
Fri Feb 5 14:06:02 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 01:40:50PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Would you have any idea if this BIOS is EFI-based at all?

Umm, EFI?

> One thing you could do that would be really helpful in tracking this
> down would be to give me a memory dump of the first megabyte of memory
> *after a PXE boot*.  The program memdump.com included in Syslinux is
> designed to dump memory out a serial port; you would need a null-modem
> cable to another computer, and to run a terminal program capable of
> YMODEM on that computer.

The server I am working on is in a remote data center and is hooked up
to a terminal server. I am accessing it over ssh.

I have teraterm that I can make an ssh connection, but it doesn't
support ymodem. Will zmodem or xmodem work?

If memdump.com can just dump its data over the serial port, I can
capture it with an ssh session under screen and send it to you, but I
don't see a way of getting a ymodem program in the stream using this
method.

--
				-- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111