[syslinux] Can PXElinux be used to dynamically pass DHCP option 252 to a PXE client?

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Mon Mar 8 18:27:06 PST 2010

Andrew Stuart wrote:

> ...I would suspect implementing this DHCP wide would cause
> all sorts of issues.

My impression of the original e-mail was that the request was to have a
different DHCP option 252 based on a menu choice.  While PXE itself does
include a means for a menu system, it seemed that Martijn was asking in
regards to using the PXELINUX menu system.  If this is true, then
Martijn wasn't looking to hand out DHCP option 252 from the DHCP
service, but was interested in spoofing or modifying the options as seen
by the Microsoft boot-loader consumer.

Some of the responses to the original e-mail indicates possibilities for
this.

> I am one of the many of us annoyed by the delay, and would love to
> remove it, but not at the cost of having peoples browsers blow up.

Again, if you set 252 from somewhere other than the DHCP service, this
is a non-issue for normal DHCP clients.  Typically an OS will redo its
DHCP transaction rather than use what was gained through the PXE DHCP
one.  An exception would be in a SAN-boot scenario where the OS might
very well use the original PXE DHCP transaction and set those params
statically on the network interface for the duration of the booted
session, or until the user or a "helpful" OS service changes it.

> I wonder if restricting this to the PXEClient Class would still work.

This should work, since an OS typically does its own DHCP transaction.

- Shao Miller