[syslinux] pxelinux.cfg/C0A80146 unable to load configuration file

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Tue Nov 23 16:21:35 PST 2010

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010, Aaron Luo wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> i am a netboot user of Linux platform. right now, i got a problem.
> after establishment a new pxe server, the clients boot from the network. and i just do some experiment of reboot on the clients. but i am surprise of the clients booting failure after several cycles. and i got the info of the clients can not download the config file, such as:
> Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/01-00-14-22-a1-53-85
> Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0A80146
> Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0A8014
> Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0A801
> Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0A80
> Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0A8
> Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0A
> Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0
> Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C
> Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/default
>
> I am sure the file of *C0A80146* exist under /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg. but
> why the clients can not download this cfg file? can you help me to
> figure that?

Can you download the file with the tftp client on another system, or even
on the server itself? Does nmap show tftp is available on the server? (I
believe Solaris and FreeBSD, but not Fedora include tftp clients in the
default distribution, or you can install it). Are the permissions right
for the directory and file? (Directories must have world execute
permission and files must be world readable). Does the default file get
loaded? That would tell you if the tftpd program was working. It may be
protected by /etc/host.allow or host.deny, or may not be started.

Daniel Feenberg