[syslinux] [Bug]: Extlinux needs 1 minute before boot menu is shown

Martin Stolpe martinstolpe at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 06:47:46 PDT 2010

On Friday 03 September 2010 23:09:21 Gene Cumm wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 16:51, Martin Stolpe
>
> <berti.boeller at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday 28 August 2010 00:01:47 Gene Cumm wrote:
> >> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 06:13, Martin Stolpe
> >
> >> <berti.boeller at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Since Syslinux is so sensitive to the BIOS, I don't think I would
> consider it noise.

This is really strange. I thougth I tested it with grub with the configuartion
I mentioned in the first post and I encountered the same problem. In the
meantime I have installed Windows on the second hdd an it boots without delay
when I change the boot hdd in BIOS. So here's my current config:
	master hdd syslinux (boots without delay; was slave before)
	slave hdd windows (boots without delay, too; was master before)

I've installed syslinux in this way:
	# cat mbr.bin > /dev/sdx (x is the hdd where linux is installed, in the
first setup it was 'b' now it is 'a')
 	# extlinux -i /dev/sdx2/
I guess with those two steps I should have updated the mbr and the partition
boot record with the files from syslinux.

> 1) Can you provide all of the possible versioning (sometimes there's
> separate components and sometimes there are linked components of the
> BIOS; see below) for your particular situation?  This may be good so
> as to provide a reference in case someone else encounters a similar
> issue with a similar product.

Board is a K7N8X-E Deluxe. BIOS version is 1013 which is the newest version.
I've integrated the 4284 Firmware for the Sil-3112 SATA chip, but  I think
this shouldn't make any difference as I don't have any SATA disk installed.
I've also altered the dsdt table so that there are no more errors when
compiling the table with iasl. Does syslinux use the dsdt table?