[syslinux] nopassany parameter causing trouble

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Mon Dec 19 11:45:58 PST 2011

Op 19-12-2011 18:48, H. Peter Anvin schreef:

> No, "nopassany" really means "don't pass ANY".  There isn't a ready way
> for MEMDISK to know what drives to allow through.

memdisk.txt literally indicates, without mentioning CD or that CD would
be harddisk-like (instead of its own category or floppy-like) :

"nopassany    Hide all real drives (floppy and hard disk)"

Guess I'm out of luck hiding harddisks when my requirements are:
1) load a floppy image through memdisk
2) use eltorito.sys to mount latest booted ISO9660
3) keep C: free

ad 1 : doable
ad 2 : CD only accessible if harddisks not hidden
ad 3 : no memdisk harddisk image allowed

The only way to guarantee meeting all conditions at the same time is by
preventing DOS from assigning driveletters beyond A: and B: at boottime.