[syslinux] Trying to chainload from Syslinux to Grub with a custom config file

Woody swoody at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 20 19:49:39 PST 2011

Hello everyone!

So, I am working on creating a live CD that contains various different
tools and iso images. I have been working under the assumption that I
cannot boot iso images directly from syslinux, so I have been trying
to chainload to Grub with custom config files, but it has not been
working.

The way I have the liveCD image setup gives each iso it's own grub lst
file. When I try to boot to Grub I wind up at a Grub prompt. If I type
the contents of the isoname.lst file into the prompt I can boot the
iso without issue. This makes me think that there isn't any problem
with the way I'm booting Grub or the config file, but possibly with
the syntax I'm using to specify which config file to use in my
syslinux menu. A standard entry for this in my syslinux.cfg looks like
this:

label Name of Image
menu label Name of Image
KERNEL /directory/grub.exe
APPEND --config-file=/directory/menu/nameofimage.lst

Then, a standard nameofimage.lst looks like this:

default 0
timeout 0
color NORMAL HIGHLIGHT HELPTEXT HEADING
foreground=FFFFFF
background=000000

title Name of Image
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /directory/ISOS/nameofimage.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 --mem /shrescue/ISOS/nameofimage.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

Am I doing something incorrectly? Do I have some syntax off somewhere?
I would really appreciate hearing any thoughts you all may have.

Thank you!
- Woody