[syslinux] USB vs. ATA with Compact flash

Collins, Cris L. Cris.Collins at gd-ais.com
Wed Feb 9 07:48:13 PST 2011

Pre7 did not work "boot error". 3.11 works fine for me, but if you need
me to test future versions let me know.
  I am using the CF with a USB bridge. It is partitioned as follows:
  Disk /dev/sdb: 4076 MB, 4076642304 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 495 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sdb1   *           1         390     3132643   83  Linux
/dev/sdb2             391         495      843412   82  Linux swap / Solaris

It is formatted EXT2:
  /dev/sdb1 on /mnt type ext2 (rw)

The extlinux.conf file:
  prompt 1
DEFAULT Test
TIMEOUT 300
LABEL Test
        kernel /boot/vmlinuzQ
        append initrd=initrd-2.6.30.9.img root=/dev/sda1 ro

  The fstab on CF:
  cat /mnt/etc/fstab
LABEL=/F            /                    ext2    defaults        0 0
tmpfs               /dev/shm             tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts              /dev/pts             devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs               /sys                 sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                /proc                proc    defaults        0 0
LABEL=Fswap         swap                 swap    defaults        0 0

  Not sure if this useful:
   smartctl -a /dev/sdb -T permissive
smartctl version 5.38 [i686-redhat-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Device: Generic  USB CF Reader    Version: 1.01
scsiModePageOffset: response length too short, resp_len=4 offset=4 bd_len=0

Error Counter logging not supported
scsiModePageOffset: response length too short, resp_len=4 offset=4 bd_len=0
Device does not support Self Test logging

  Let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you for your time.