[syslinux] Nested SYSLINUX configurations -- error using CONFIGdirective

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Tue Mar 29 22:55:17 PDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Mahn" <rich at lat.com>
To: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com>
Cc: "For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa" <syslinux at zytor.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:52 PM
Subject: Re: [syslinux] Nested SYSLINUX configurations -- error using
CONFIGdirective

> H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> >> There seems to be an error using '..' in the append portion of the
> >> CONFIG directive.
> >
> > This is a known bug in Syslinux 4.03.  It should be fixed in 4.04-pre14,
> > but if it is not, please scream.
> >
> > -hpa
> >

> > --
> > H. Peter Anvin, Intel Open Source Technology Center
> > I work for Intel.  I don't speak on their behalf.
>
> This bug still exists in 4.04-pre12.  I can't get 4.04-pre13 or
> 4.04-pre14 to run at all.  I get the message:
>
>   SYSLINUX 4.04_pre13 CHS Copyright (c) 1994-2011 H. Peter Avin et al
>
> and then nothing else.

Yes 4.04-pre13 and pre14 need recompilation as they were compiled with a new
compiler that screw something.
Compilation require nasm-2.07 or newer, a recent binutils (2.20 or 2.21
should work)
Use 'make spotless && make' instead of 'make installer'

If your compiler is hardened to default to pie code like gcc gentoo or arch,
peek the upstream patch to fix gpxe compilation
http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/fe61f6d

Gilles