[syslinux] serial port install system

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu May 19 18:27:46 PDT 2011

On 05/19/2011 06:26 AM, Rance Hall wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:51 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
>> On 05/18/2011 02:19 PM, Rance Hall wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Yes, the "serial" command does this by default.
>>
>> It provides simultaneous control, unlike Grub there isn't a notion of
>> one or the other being "selected".
>>
>>        -hpa
>>

> Disappointing a little bit, but thanks.
>
> Grub2 is far to complicated to embark on a project like this with the
> current lack of Grub2 docs.
>
> Was hoping to be able to create custom menus depending on the console selected.
>
> I can just create a single menu and go from there, thanks for your time.

I personally find the notion of having to control things to be extremely
clumsy.  That being said, the display stuff in Syslinux does provide the
ability to squelch certain messages from either the serial port or the
console, but that does not extend to the menu system, since that would
mean simultaneously displaying and operating two different menus.