[syslinux] serial port install system

Steffen Winterfeldt wfeldt at suse.de
Fri May 20 05:08:37 PDT 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Rance Hall wrote:

> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:51 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
>> On 05/18/2011 02:19 PM, Rance Hall wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Yes, the "serial" command does this by default.
>>
>> It provides simultaneous control, unlike Grub there isn't a notion of
>> one or the other being "selected".
>>
>>        -hpa
>>

> Disappointing a little bit, but thanks.
>
> Grub2 is far to complicated to embark on a project like this with the
> current lack of Grub2 docs.
>
> Was hoping to be able to create custom menus depending on the console selected.
>
> I can just create a single menu and go from there, thanks for your time.

FWIW, gfxboot (despite its name) can do that. It monitors serial lines,
tells you from which line the input came and you can write to individual
lines.

The openSUSE install media for example work in headless environments this way.

Steffen

--
Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you.
(chimp Nim, using sign language)