[syslinux] Strange behavior

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 15:55:33 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 16:36, Roy Marantz <roy.marantz at vonage.com> wrote:
> I just tried it using syslinux 4.04 on a physical machine and everything
> worked reliably.  So I would conclude that there is some race condition
> between vCenter 4.10  and SYSLINUX 4.04.  How close is SYSLINUX 4.10 to
> being available or is there any plan to backport that patch to SYSLINUX
> 4.04?

0) I'm not sure what client you're using or if it's use that's putting
a split copy of the message into the reply.  (I know I need to
sometimes think on how much to quote back in replies)

1) vCenter isn't really in the equation, except to provide you console
access.  Getting familiar with the names of the 5 or so products you
probably use can be mildly confusing with how close their names are
and how you connect things.

2) Your issue is not the same as the one I had with 4.10.  That issue
was specific to 4.10.  I've had no issues with 4.04.  It sounds more
like dropped/ignored packets for some reason.

> BTW, I was still seeing requests for menu.c32.{cbt,com,c32}.  I did "ln -s
> menu.c32 menu.c32.c32" to work around that.

On the physical machines running PXELINUX 4.04?  This has me leaning
towards communication with a switch or your machine with the HTTPD
dropping packets.  Try a packet capture.  A switch with port mirroring
or a hub may also help in the physical case.  For the VM, there are
some security options on the vSwitch.

> I can write up my setup in detail if you guys want some documentation.  I
> made some small changes to dhcpd.conf, apache2 conf, and a custom perl cgi
> script to hack a pxelinux/menu config.
> Thanks.
> Roy

Options that might cause it to drop packets/connections "in the name
of security" should be examined (including a firewall).

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is Top-posting such a bad thing?

--
-Gene