[syslinux] Multiboot flash from 2 iso's

Emilio Lazo Zaia emiliolazozaia at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 20:48:20 PST 2011

Hello

I'll write a HOWTO about this topic.

My method is: GPT disklabel, extlinux/syslinux on first partition, make
it bootable and make a nice menu to chainload all distros you want in
your stick. Later you need to make hybrid all your iso files (with
isohybrid.pl) and assign one partition in your GPT schema for each iso
file (with the corresponding size depending on the .iso you will dump),
and dump each iso onto these newly created partitions. That's it!

As you have all your images dumped like original iso files, you will not
lose the original menu and splash screen for each distro!

Also because all filesystems are iso9660, each distro will mount its
partition read-only, so all these distros inside your pendrive will
never be modified with its use.

You may need to modify something, i.e. change isolinux-debug.bin to
isolinux.bin if the distro comes with the "debug" version of isolinux
(this debug version doesn't supports hybrid booting). Also sometimes you
may need to modify the initrd file, for example in the case of two
Ubuntu-based distros because all them will search for the same /casper
folder (or /live or whatever) and the first occurrence of this directory
will match for all Ubuntu-based distros on your stick. The solution is
make a symlink:

/live -> /live-gparted

...and modify initrd's init script to search for /live-gparted. As far
as I can remember:

LIVE_MEDIA_PATH=live-gpartrd

in scripts/live inside the initrd image.

I did select GPT disklabel because its advantages over MBR. I did test
it with 12 distros on an 8GB stick.