[syslinux] Multiboot flash from 2 iso's

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 19:26:54 PST 2011

On Nov 27, 2011 12:14 PM, "Alexander Pletnev" <pletnev.rusalex at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Im trying to learn syslinux and want to create a multiboot flashdrive,
which will have more than one liveCD available for booting.

There are several methods but it depends on other distro-specific items but
the basics are that the two must be given unique info to use distinct boots
(distro-specific directory, kernel option, etc).

> I've installed a simple live cd (secure linux live cd disk#1) to my Fat32
partition. It boots well. Now i want to add another live CD (geexbox
disk#2) to boot from the same Fat32 partition.

> I need to copy some files from live cd (geexbox) and add them to my
current live cd installation on Fat32 partition.

> This is a part of default config from disk#2 wich is used for default
burning.

> label ubnentry0
> menu label Start GeeXboX ...
> kernel /vmlinuz
> append initrd=/initrd vga=789 persistent quiet splash loglevel=3
>
> I tried to copy vmlinux and initrd files to a sub folder on disk#1 add
config options to disk#1 syslinux.cfg with subfolders in path's to kernel
and initrd script. But it won't work. Error was (can't find a correct root
filesystem) . On disk#2 there is a file with name "rootfs" and size 64Mb, i
think it's what i need. But i don't know how to add an option to syslinux
config, about rootfs in a file.

> Can anybody understand and maybe help me?

Sounds like you used UNetBootIn to copy the contents of an ISO and
autogenerate a config file.  It does well with Ubuntu ISOs and some ISOs
but doesn't make adding easy sometimes.

Shuffling the kernel/initrd is pretty easy but if you move a file like the
rootfs file for geexbox, it may not know to search or where to search.
Options for this are distro-specific.  The quick choice is put the file in
the same location as it was in the ISO but it will still need to know to
look at your USB flash drive rather than a CD-like drive.  Some do this
automatically, some by options and some with no workaround.

Some distros offer options such that if you extract the kernel/initrd(s),
you can then place the ISO file in the file system without extraction.

Unfortunately there are no consistent answers to your question and any you
get are distro-specific even though some options may be common to many
unrelated distros.

--
-Gene