[syslinux] Using Linux as bootloader

Michael Chang mchang at suse.com
Sat Oct 29 23:38:02 PDT 2011

2011/10/29 Rajeev Agrawala <rajeevagrawala at hotmail.com>:

> Hi,
> Not sure if this is the right mailing list for this kind of question, but I am looking for a way to boot Linux/other OS from within Linux i.e. once I have booted into Linux may be using pxe or otherwise and then I decide to boot Windows from or Linux from localdisk, then instead of rebooting th machine can I somehow execute the boot sector/grub/ntldr etc from within Linux? Is this at all possible? It seems something similar exists for ARM processor only (http://www.embeddedarm.com/software/arm-linux-bootloader.php).

Perhaps you will be interested in taking a look at this project.
http://kboot.sourceforge.net/

>From what I can tell it is possible, as I ever tried using
kexec+grub4dos to boot to Windows on the fly from Linux. But since the
boot sequence is not regular, from second OS's perspective the system
was taken over from first OS but not directly from BIOS, certain
function might have problem.

HTH.

Regards,
Michael