[syslinux] Status of EFI support?

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Thu Apr 19 23:53:54 PDT 2012

Am 17.04.2012 13:31, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Am 17.04.2012 13:18, schrieb Keshav P R:
>> I don't think there is any need for Syslinux EFI support with efistub
>> support in kernel 3.3 and with efilinux for non-efistub kernels. See
>> https://projects.archlinux.org/archiso.git/commit/?id=6caa5bcb69037442fac2b30ac5b20e4350a11056
>> for implementing efistu booting in isos. You may also try rEFInd .
> You may want to support the same boot menu for both EFI and BIOS boot,
> so an isolinux-derivative with EFI support is desirable.
>
> The same goes for a syslinux variant with EFI support: You may want the
> COM32 functionality that you are familiar with.
>
> I wouldn't dismiss the need for EFI support just because efistub exists.

That's exactly the point. There already are solutions for EFI booting
(GRUB is another one), but you don't get the same menu and the same
features. That may be quite annoying to the end user; most of them don't
know what EFI/BIOS is and don't care at all, they just want to get the
same thing on all machines.

Efistub may be sufficient for booting a locally installed system, where
you usually don't need any menus. But since Syslinux, AFAIK, is now used
mostly on live systems, installation systems and such, EFI support is
definitely something we need.

Bye,
Andreas