[syslinux] extlinux.conf not found

Alexander Foken alexander at foken.de
Sun Jul 29 11:19:08 PDT 2012

Hi,

On 29.07.2012 18:55, Giuliano Losa wrote:
> Hello,
> I noticed the following behavior of extlinux 4.05:
>
> I created an ext3 filesystem on the first (primary and active) partition
> of a usb stick. I mounted it at /mnt/. Then I copied to /mnt/ldlinux.sys
> the ldlinux.sys found in the syslinux 4.05 archive and I created a basic
> /mnt/extlinux.cfg.

Just copying probably won't work. You have to install the bootloader
code using the utilities syslinux or extlinux.

> Then I ran "extlinux -i /mnt/" and rebooted on the usb stick.

This is the proper way to install.

> I got
> "ERROR: No configuration file found".
>
> I tried the same procedure again but this time changing extlinux.cfg to
> syslinux.cfg and it worked fine.

extlinux.conf (note the "o") is the loader-specific configuration file,
syslinux.cfg is the generic configuration file.

Where did you find extlinux.cfg as configuration file name?

> Is this a bug or is the documentation saying that extlinux.cfg should
> work outdated?
Where is that documented?

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/EXTLINUX documents extlinux.conf
and syslinux.cfg under item 2.

Alexander

> Is it related to the following email?
> http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2010-March/013803.html
>
> It's easy enough to work around but it's a bit annoying when you don't
> know it.
>
> nano

Alexander Foken
mailto:alexander at foken.de  http://www.foken.de/alexander/