[syslinux] Manually copy over ldlinux.sys

Ryan Kuba ryankuba at gmail.com
Sat May 19 19:54:42 PDT 2012

Well the machines in the field are Ubuntu 8.04 32 bit. And I am unable
to make any partition changes to them as the rootfs needs to stay
mounted throughout the upgrade process as it will contain the tarball
for the files. I mean I could get fancy and move the stuff to a tempfs
or reboot multiple times for the upgrade but it feels like it would
get messy.

The current process is:

extract all files including new kernel, initramfs, extlinux.conf, and
squashfs file
modify initramfs to contain software raid entries and re-zip it up
copy over user designated config files into a new folder that are
symlinks in the squashfs
write the mbr.bin to all drives
run extlinux --raid --install
set the primary partitions active
reboot
On successful reboot wipe the os files from the now mounted elsewhere
old / parition.

The squashfs is not an installer it is our new production OS and is
loaded into ram on boot using the debian-live package.

As I am pushing around a 250 Meg file here I will just have to build
the extlinux package from source for 8.04 and bundle it, unless
someone knows of a deb that has already been built for hardy?

This seems like the easiest option. When I initially asked this
question I did not realize the VBR was so machine/hard drive specific.

I appreciate the suggestions.