[syslinux] PXE looping on localboot

Andrew Bobulsky rulerof at gmail.com
Thu May 24 09:45:37 PDT 2012

Hello Lee,

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Lee Eric <openlinuxsource at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay guys, 2 suggestions:
>
> 1. Change your NBP to the latest version.
> 2. Using chain.c32 as chainloader. It's quite stable as I tried in
> many different servers.

Regarding chain.c32, is there a consensus here that using it against
hd0 (or hd1, hd2, hdN) is the most robust way to move from PXELINUX to
a local disk?  I remember that doing so was always a little bit
difficult when working with gPXE, and PXELINUX's "localboot" directive
was always much more reliable on the Dell Optiplex systems I was
working with at the time (of course, iPXE has since worked around that
problem by allowing "sanboot" to apply to local disks).

Back to the point of my question though, I do recall some instances
where PXELINUX's localboot didn't quite work correctly
(troubleshooting a server or something by PXE booting is always a fun
pastime :D), so, do you recommend using chain.c32 only as a workaround
to this and similar problems, or actually as a best practice for
situations where PXELINUX is part of a standard boot process?

Cheers,
Andrew Bobulsky